Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: did y'all...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member emjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2002
    Posts
    747
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Did y'all go to film school, and how did you get on it? (shown material etc)

    And for those who didn't go to film school, how come you're making low budget movies now?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I didn't go to film school.

    I was supposed to be a computer programmer, but halfway through my Computer Studies course I decided this wasn't what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing.

    About that time I latched onto cinema in a big way, devouring everything I could find about film and film-making while I half-heartedly completed my computer course (I figured I might as well finish and get a qualification).

    I passed the course and spent about a year on the dole, after which I decided to get off my arse and make a short film with my friends. I released the film to very favourable feedback and decided to form Spare Time Films.

    About the same time I got myself a full-time office job. Cut to five years later, and I'm a Documentation Controller who makes films in his spare time.

    The good thing about it is I have a ready-made audience of factory workers all eagerly waiting to see our next production.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Yammeryammeryammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I didn't go to film school, and probably wouldn't if I had the choice. I am taking Biology and Physiology in University, and making movies is more of an interest to be developed in spare time. I think the same goes for many people on here, or does it?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Esparto's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    nah, apparantly i'm too young to go to film school.

    wanted to make films, took a part time job whilst studying A levels, bourght a cam corder, made films.

    film making is simply a reasonably expensive hobby, which i'm gona try to turn into a reasonably profitable hobby

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Gurdeep Samra's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 1999
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I didn't go to film school (or take a course in film studies) but as I've never looked into going to film school I can't really knock it.

    From my experience the best thing to do is to just grab a camcorder and start playing around with it. After a while you'll end up with a short movie by complete accident and everyone will tell you how smart you are (as it happened with me, lol).

  6. #6
    Inactive Member steven_craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2001
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    im a professional bum

    WTF is a "Documentaion Controller"? you know janitors are called Service Support Officers (!)

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    And then, as a counterpoint to virtually everyone else on exposure...there's me.

    I did a one year course in TV and Video, knocked up a portfolio of utterly self indulgent films, 1 good script, some naff photography and an award winning doc. I was accepted into Film school and start year 2 quite soon.

    Stuff screened...nothing since before i entered film school. My 16mm film after dice was shot last year and will almost definatly be shown in the Irish film centre in Dublin, if I ever edit it.

    Next year the course leaves behind fictional film, as we make a music video, documentary and a studio drama.

    Is film school an advantage? Ill tell you when I finish in 2-3 years. Although this board makes me feel like a case study at times.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been making no budget movies since I was about 15, and being 18 now i've basically been too young to do film school.

    However towards the end of this year I shall be doing a part time film course @ Oxford Uni (although its not directly connected to the Uni). After that I'm going to get my big project done, and after that's finished, hopefully by summer next year, I'll do a full time film course.

    That way I'll have some experience in the can aswell as a feature length low-budget movie.

    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    m0ds

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    A Documentation Controller is someone who controls documents.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member steven_craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2001
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    philipswales i apologise for my cynicisim

    im off to do a degree in Film and TV (production) at Edinburgh College Of Art in September
    i do a lot of unpaid [img]mad.gif[/img] work in the industry examples of which; cam assist on Byker Grove, Micawber, Discovery Documentry, locations assist on Sixteen Years Of Alcohol (feature film)
    i also co-direct a small multimedia company called Ashbank Multimedia we create interactive cdrom based content for education, especially in the field of visual communication.
    i also do a lot of my own stuff in my spare time, which is usually sh?t

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 28, 2002 09:20 AM: Message edited by: steven_craig ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •